Thursday, March 8, 2012

Aid to the Oppressed: my Thoughts

Lately, there has been a viral video floating around Kony 2012. It brings to light an issue that I have been blind to for most of my life: the oppression of many young African children by one of the world's most evil criminals - Joseph Kony. However, the efforts of Invisible Children have become quite a controversial topic. Today, I watched the movie, because I heard and saw all of the hype on my various social media outlets. I want to speak a little bit about my thoughts on Kony 2012, and I want to do it in light of 1 John 3:17-18.

Here is what that verse says, "But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth." 

So here is what I have to say - are you for Kony 2012? Great. Are you against Kony 2012? Great. You have seen the video and/or all of the hype and you have fallen on one side of the fence or the other. But you have seen it, and the issues brought to light by this recent viral video and the implications thereof are real. They are provable. So the real question is, now that you know about these terrible deeds committed by this man and his army, what are you going to do about it? 

Maybe you do not agree with how Invisible Children runs their program, or maybe you think it is one of the best ways to deal with this topic - either way, 1 John 3:17-18 says to stop talking about it and start doing something. Stop arguing about how posting that video on facebook is just the cool thing to do, and people don't really care. Stop getting into meaningless discussions about the inner workings of Kony 2012, and start loving in deed and truth. And, you know what? Please stop posting about Kony 2012 if you intend to do nothing about it. 

When I watched that video, my heart was moved. Was it the awesome presentation and creative graphics that caught my attention? Perhaps, but I cannot really say. What I do know is that it was the truth of the message that really held me there at a gunpoint (figuratively speaking). I saw something, the Holy Spirit convicted me about it, and I chose to act. I am not saying this to set myself as an example, because I am not. But I am hoping that this may stop some of the hostility I am seeing. 

I do not know about whether or not Invisible Children and Kony 2012 are using their funds in the absolute best way, but what I do know is that they are effectively getting the message against Kony out into the world. I am praying that God uses them to stop one of the world's most evil criminals from killing and hurting people. If you do not agree with my take on the efforts of Kony 2012 to stop Joseph Kony, you still have a moral obligation to do something about it in some other way.

Why must you do something about it? Because according to Psalm 82:3 God wants you to "give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute." So, if like me, you cannot give a great amount of money, then pray and raise awareness. Years ago the Holy Spirit called me to live out my Christian life by opening my mouth to defend the rights of the oppressed. And, if you are a Christian, then he has called you to do the same. So, live out you Christian life in deeds, and use your words wisely, so as to further the cause of the oppressed and hurting. And please stop the hostility towards each other, when your attentions should be focused elsewhere: on the problem, not the various (all valid) solutions to fixing it. I chose to support Kony 2012 - you do as your conscience and the Holy Spirit dictates, but do SOMETHING.

And if you have no idea what it is I am talking about, here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc&feature=g-all-s&context=G2e7967dFAAAAAAAAAAA
  1. Isaiah 1:17 "Learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause."
  2. Romans 12:15-18 "Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all."
  3. Micah 6:8 "He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
  4. Psalm 82:3 "Give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute."
  5. Proverbs 31:8-9 "Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy."
  6. James 1:27 "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."
  7. Luke 4:18-19 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."
  8. 1 John 3:17-18 "But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth."
  9. Proverbs 28:27 "Whoever gives to the poor will not want, but he who hides his eyes will get many a curse."

1 comment:

  1. I write and maintain a blog which I have entitled “accordingtothebook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.

    ReplyDelete