Thursday, April 21, 2011

My Only Boast is You

      Growing up as a Christian sometimes makes certain phrases and concepts commonplace to a person. The idea of boasting in Christ was one such idea for me. I obeyed it outwardly, making sure never to boast about my accomplishments, to the best of my ability. But that was the problem...to the best of my ability. You see, in myself, anything and everything is hard to do. God is not something I apply like sunscreen to protect myself, nor is he a hammer or a shovel when life calls me to hammer a nail or to dig a hole. I am learning to look at my relationship with God in this light: I am a quadriplegic on life support. God moves me and breathes for me. He keeps my heart beating and he enable me to act. Why do I think it is all me?

      It is really convicting to realize that, even as a Christian, I live like an atheist. Many times I think about my own goals and accomplishments without giving one thought to the One who gives me my next breath. I am sorry Lord. Boasting in you isn't just not boasting in myself, but it is also acknowledging in my mind that you are doing what you already are. It shows how insignificant, but yet how blessed, I am.   

No comments:

Post a Comment