Friday, January 14, 2011

A Cluttered Life Keeps You from the Joys of Simplicity

One of my friends always finds me cleaning my room, whenever we text each other. We laugh about this, but when I contemplate my habit of disorderliness, I find that this shows a lot about my character. I have often used my artistic personality as a excuse for having clutter and chaos in my habitat. My real reason, which I am not very keen to admit, is my laziness. I have, with the help of my parents and others, focused on this for the past few years as a matter of spiritual concern. My friends, I am still struggling and often failing at my endeavours in this regard. However, I have learned a few things.

10 Reasons Why Clutter is Unbeneficial: in No Particular Order
  1. Cluttered people are (whether they know it or not) worshipping their possessions above God. This is idolatry.
  2. Clutter is dangerous for your health.
  3. Cluttered people want more things constantly, and are therefore discontent.
  4. Clutter makes finding important items difficult, and is a waste of time.
  5. Clutter prohibits or greatly limits hospitality. No one feels truly welcome at a home that is filled with dust-catchers and screams, "GERMS!!!"
  6. Cluttered people are stressed because they cannot be blessed with God's peace. "God is a God of order."
  7. Cluttered students lose school assignments, make worse grades than had they done otherwise, and limit their future options thereby.
  8. (For the artists) I have learned that clutter increases the time and clean-up, while painting or doing some other form of art, by about double.
  9. Cluttered people struggle with keeping other areas of their lives, such as their thoughts, events, or schedules, organized as well.
  10. Cluttered people are a poor witness for Christ, because all of these things are very visible to onlookers, and do not accurately depict the true nature of Christ.

This (somewhat scathing) list has, sadly, been taught to me the hard way. And, sadly again, I still am so far from arriving to the place where I should be in this matter. I shared this because I am still learning and have found the reasons on that list to be quite motivating for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment