Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Trusting God with My Affections

Years ago, when I became a Christian, I gave my heart to Christ. Every day, I renew my commitment to that, but I wonder if I have given my whole heart to him. I act like my affections are mine to give, when in truth I gave that part of my character to God, too. It is he who made the heavens and earth, who fashioned each microscopic organism, each strand of DNA, each star, planet, or galaxy (many of which have probably not been discovered yet), who created every human being that was ever conceived, who planned their destinies, and prepared a wonderful place for Christians when they die. He, who made all these things by the mere word of his mouth, is infinite. Why would I have so much trouble trusting every area of my life to him? Cannot he, who created all these amazing things without any strain to himself, and who has proven his love for me by taking upon himself all of the wrath that I deserved, can he not have the best plan for every aspect of my life, including what I love? This is the most comforting thought imaginable! So I say, "Lord, make me love the things that you would have me love. Help me to not make idols out of my affinities. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment